Thursday, July 27, 2017

The Challenge #93

Hello and Happy Thursday!  It's time for a new challenge at The Challenge over on the Always Playing With Paper Blog! This week is Challenge #93 and it is a Keyword Challenge which means you can use one or more of the words from the graphic to incorporate into your card.

For my card this week I kept things simple for the most part.  I started by stamping the Simon Says Stamp Rebecca Lace Background Stamp onto Watercolor Cardstock in Versamark and heat embossing it in Simon Says Stamp Antique Gold Embossing Powder.  I prepped my surface beforehand very well by brushing baby powder all over the card front.  Because this stamp is very intricate, this step is more important than usual.  In fact, I even messed mine up a little bit but it's probably not noticeable to the average person.  I use a Wagner Heat Tool. I previously used a heat tool from Darice but the Wagner Heat Tool gets much hotter, much faster and that means less warping of my paper if I'm not having to hold it on my paper as long.  It took me a bit of time to get used to it and not scorch my paper if that tells you how hot it gets. *Ü* The Wagner Heat Tool does not have the protective cap on it so be careful if you get one.

The newest release of Distress Oxide Inks came yesterday and I had spent some time yesterday morning after the dentist and before my hair appointment doing several of these heat embossed backgrounds so that I would hopefully have time to play with the new inks. I only had time to play with this one color so far as my last few weeks have been very busy.  Knowing that Seedless Preserves is my favorite color in Distress Inks, you know I had to try out the Seedless Preserves in Distress Oxide first!  The Distress Oxide Ink Pads are available in individual pads or your can buy the bundle. You can lighten or intensify the ink color by how much or how little ink and then again by how much or little water you add into the mix.  For this card, I barely added any water because I wanted to retain the true purple color.  If I wanted to have a chalk or suede look, I would have used more water. The water causes the oxidation in this ink formulation. I'm not into the random drops, splatters or mists of water to "Bleach" out or distress the color so I did not do that.  I like it once in a while but not all the time. It's got to be right for the project.  I did use a touch of Tsukineko Sheer Sparkle Shimmer Mist after the ink was dry which is a water based product.  But I kept the mist high above so it would not leave drops.

Next I used the WPLUS9 Gift Card Layers Die to cut the background panel and the Concord & 9th Floral & Flutter Dies to cut a single butterfly for gold floiled cardstock.  I heat embossed the "Happy Birthday" sentiment from the Papertrey Botanical Blocks Stamp Set onto a banner cut from Papertrey Ink Tag Sale: Quilted dies.  I try to make sure I always have banners cut in white, black and watercolor cardstock so I don't have to stop in the middle of a project to cut one out. It's easier to cut several at a time than to have to dig it out each time I want to use it.  I assembled everything to a top folding white card base made from Papertrey Ink's Stamper's Select White Cardstock.  All of Papertrey's Card Stock is 110 lb and super smooth.  It's my favorite.


You probably didn't notice it at first but the background design is done in a circle incorporating a 3rd keyword into my card.  I love using background stamps to make my card front any color I want.  I'm going to be testing this particular one out again soon for a niece's wedding coming next month.  Be sure to stop over and see all of the Design Team's Inspiration for you at the blog.

Lesley Croghan (Challenge Creator)

Don't forget to check back each week on Thursday to see a new challenge posted. We hope you'll find time to play along.  

3 comments:

  1. love your card, Vicki - the gold is gorgeous with the new DO ink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning card, the gold and pink are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki, your card is just stunning! I love all the gold embossing and the gorgeous gold butterfly! GORGEOUS! XX

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!