140# Canson Watercolor Paper using Red #31 in the Kuretake Gansai Tambi Watercolors Set. I chose that color because it has a more orange-y tone and most guys really like Orange. I used a #8 Round Silver Black Velvet brush for this. It was pretty saturated with color and water, so I had to just set it aside to dry.
After a couple of hours tending to other things, I came back and put a spritz of water onto my Finetec Gold Palette in the color Inca Gold which is the warmest gold color in the palette of 6. Using the same brush as before, I dabbed the gold paint on over the red very randomly and then left that to dry while I continued with other things (a.k.a. Laundry, Housework or Dinner). When I came back, the gold watercolor paint had blended with the red and made a very marbled look on the card stock. To enhance this look, I ran that piece of card stock through my die cutting machine with the embossing pad and a clean, unmarked cutting plate. If you use a plate that has any marks on it, they will be left behind on your card stock. It has to be an uncut cutting plate. I discovered this quite by accident when I was attempting to simply flatten out a piece of watercolor paper on a previous occasion but using the same paints. And the surface of the watercolor paper really smooths out when you do this as well. I usually do it a few times, increasing the thickness with a piece of card stock for a shim. The maximum number of sheets I've been able to use for the shim is 2 of the Stampin' Up 80# colored card stock sheets. I don't want it so thick it breaks my machine or that I can't crank it through and this has done the job for me. In the Cuttlebug, the sandwich goes like this from the bottom up: A Plate, Card Stock Shim(s), B Plate, Grey Embossing Pad, the water colored piece face up and unmarked B Plate on the top. Run it though, but if it feels too tight in your machine, back it out and remove the shim from the sandwich., then run it again. I usually crank mine through about 4 times. This makes the surface so super smooth you can only imagine and it makes the gold paint look even more like marble. I was unable to capture that in my photograph for you, but trust me, it's there.
I started assembling the card by making a standard A2 Top Folding Note Card using Simon Says Stamp Lipstick Red Card Stock. I cut a doily from a Stampin' Up Doily Die I have using metallic gold foil card stock. I could have placed the doily in the center behind the heart but I like the little bit of visual interest that comes from having something unexpected. Next I cut the Avery Elle "Love" Die using more Gold Metallic Card Stock. Then I cut the heart out of the faux marbled paper using the Little B Stitched Hearts Dies. I cut a slightly smaller craft foam heart to put on the backside of the heart giving it dimension without it sagging in the center. You could use foam tape or squares if your embellishment is small enough but for the larger pieces, I like using the fun foam to provide the more stable dimension.
This was a simple card as I only had to leave the watercolor to dry while I did other things. Then when it was dry, I created the rest of the pieces and assembled. I'm trying to come up with a few Valentine Card Designs that are more masculine to send to those special fellas in my life - grandsons! I think this is not too bad, but the doily is probably too feminine for them so I haven't decided on one yet.
Thanks for stopping by today and I hope you'll be back soon!