Sunday, October 18, 2015

Trick or Treat

Today I set out to create a Halloween Card for 3 of my favorite little boys using the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge as my color inspiration.  Their Momma loves Halloween and I know she will also enjoy this card.  I tried some new techniques that I've seen done but hadn't ever tried myself.  I will definitely try this masking technique again.

I took a 4 x 5.5 inch water color card stock and planned out my scene.  Next I used a piece of 2 inch wide Post-It Tape to create the landscape.  I have found Post-It tape to be a great resource for masking etc. and I use the pieces over and over again with my die cuts until it will not stick even one more time.  I just did a free hand cut with a couple of swells to mimic a hilly ground.  I saved the top part of the Post -It Tape for when I needed a mask so I could ink up the grassy part.  I cut a good sized circle out of a piece of card stock and adhered it using temporary adhesive where I wanted my moon to appear on the panel. Using a Ranger Mini Ink Blending Tool with Night of Navy, I went in a circular motion beginning at the top of the panel to lay some ink down.  I wanted the sky to be lighter at the top and darker near the ground.  As I moved towards the center of the panel I continued with the Night of Navy and then to deepen the intensity, I added Elegant Eggplant over the top.  This gave me the night sky I was seeking.

Next, I removed the lower mask and pulled out the top part to mask the sky I had just made.  I took my time and lined it up carefully.  I used Garden Green to color in the grassy area and added a bit of Night of Navy over the green to make it darker just as it would be in the night sky.  Next, I removed the mask from the moon, inked up the bare tree from the Sheltering Tree SU! set using Versamark then heat set it using Ranger Super Fine Detail Black Embossing Powder.  I cut three very small ovals to make up the pumpkin and added a leaf from something I had previously cut.  I heat embossed the greeting in Ranger Opaque White Embossing Powder on a strip of black card stock and cut the swallow tail ends on the left side.  I attached that using foam squares for a bit of dimension.  That panel was attached to a mat of Eggplant card stock and then onto an A2 white card base.

When I was finished, I remembered a Wrought Iron Fence Die that I've had for quite a while.  It never seems to be the right size, but it was absolutely perfect for this card.

That's it for today.  For not having any Halloween type stamps sets (only the greeting) I think this card turned out very well.  Please feel free to comment or ask any questions you may have.  Have a great rest of the weekend!

3 comments:

  1. What a great Halloween card! Your details are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous Halloween card, love how you made it.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the card--especially love the fence!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!