Sunday, February 21, 2016

Catching Up With A Reason to Smile

My husband and I had planned to be at our daughter's house last weekend and we were but things happened while I was there so I decided to take a little vacation and stay the whole week. My husband came back to get me on Friday night and we got home late yesterday morning.  A couple of hours later my order from the Simon Says Stamp Reason to Smile Release arrived at my mailbox.  I only ordered a couple of things this time, but I was excited to get them already!

Right away I stamped this new floral image from the Simon Says Stamp Spring Flowers Stamp Set.  At this time, there are not matching dies, but on a Periscope I was watching the other day, Heidi said there could be.... It was a lot of fun to see her showing the new release items and I was actually where I could watch it live for once.

I started with a couple of background panels cut from Canson Bristol 96# Watercolor Paper and stamped each with a couple of flowers and stems and also some random flowers all over using Versamark then heat embossed using the new Simon Says Stamp Antique Gold Embossing Powder.  Antique Gold seems to be identical to the WOW! Gold Rich Pale Embossing Powder, but you get twice as much in the container.  In fact, it might become my new favorite, after the Ranger Gold Tinsel Embossing Powder, of course.  I love the Simon Branded Embossing Powders as they are super fine, they melt well and have a fantastic price point.

Next I colored the images using Tim Holtz Distress Markers in Seedless Preserves and Worn Lipstick. For the stem and leaves I used Mowed Lawn Distress Marker. I also did a more loose style of watercolor on the other panel, but I confess, so far that style only makes me feel like it's messy and I haven't yet made it into a card. I'm trying to learn to relax a little about my watercolor, but so far I am unsuccessful at that. And really, that is okay.  I think everyone should do whatever style works for them.  After the flowers and leaves were dry, I went over them with my "recycled" Wink Of Stella Clear Shimmer Brush Pen.

To assemble the card, I used my favorite Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangles in the largest size to die cut my panel.  I stamped the sentiment on Stamper's Select Vellum from Papertrey Ink using their Graceful Greetings Stamp Set.  I die cut the vellum across the width of that panel with the same stitched rectangle so the widths and stitching would match and adhered it with Ranger Multi Medium Matte to the front panel.  I attached that to a 4.25 x 5.5 inch top folding card base made from Papertrey Ink's Autumn Rose Cardstock.  A few sequins and voila, my card is finished.


It's important to note that if you use much water on your project, the watercolor panel will warp. It warps less with 140# paper, but that paper is not as white as the Bristol. It also doesn't stay in place very well with dry adhesive so I've started using my Ranger Multi Medium Matte to adhere my watercolor piece to my card base and then I stack several acrylic blocks on top to keep it nice and flat while it dries.  I hope you find this tip helpful.

The Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge for
this week is for a Recycled or Upcycled project.  I recycled my empty Wink of Stella by adding some Perfect Pearls Pigment Powder, a little Glimmer Mist and some water into the empty brush to give my flowers some added shimmer.  It's not as sparkly as the original Wink of Stella but it's not bad at all. The Wink of Stella Brush Pens have such a nice, real brush tip, they are a great one for recycling. Since I love shimmer on nearly every card I make, this is a great way for me to recycle the empty pen.

Since I was on a little vacation last week, I did not have any paper crafting tools with me so I haven't posted in more than a week.  I did take my Peerless Watercolors with me and I finally got them swatched and in the little organization books.  Rest assured, I will be back to my regular schedule of 3 - 4 posts a week now that I am home.  Have a fantastic day and please feel free to leave me a comment or ask any questions you might have.  Thank you so much for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty!! Like this crocus flower stamp!! Makes me think SPRING! Missed your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!