Friday, February 26, 2016

Celebrate - Tim Holtz Style Inspired by a Song

While I was at my daughter's last week, we ran over to the local Michaels Arts & Crafts Store to get an adhesive runner so I could finish swatching my Peerless Watercolors and adhere the remaining swatches the way all of the previous ones have been done.  I ended up finding a Studio G Mini Tape Runner with more than enough (9 feet) to finish what I had started at home and it was $1 or something super cheap like that.  Of course in the attempt to find a tape runner at all, I was in the Stamping/Scrapbooking Section.  I noticed a Tim Holtz Sizzix Framelits Celebrate Stamp & Die Set in the clearance section for.... $3.99! Holy Cow! Since my daughter had just mentioned that Birthday Cards are something she uses a lot, I knew it would be perfect and a deal that I could not pass up.  I don't know if I've ever gotten a better deal.

I love the super sketchy, architectural type drawings of all Tim Holtz's Blueprint Style Stamps and this one is no exception.  It's smaller than what I would like and I think I might have to get the larger stamp at some point in time but I'm pretty tickled to get this one at such a great price and especially since it included the matching dies because I detest fussy cutting and me a craft knife just don't go together that well.  I have one but I try not to use it.

On several pieces of Canson Bristol 96# Watercolor Paper I stamped and heat embossed the images in Simon Says Stamp's New Antique Gold Ultra Fine Embossing Powder and heat set it. I knew I wanted bright, cheerful and vibrant colors so I went straight to my Kuretake Zig Clean Color Real Brush Pens in Cobalt Blue, Emerald Green, Persian Green, Orange, Red, Purple & Deep Violet. To add the shimmer  to the color I used Perfect Pearls Pigment Powder in the following:  Interference Red, Interference Blue, Forever Violet, Berry Twist, Turquoise and Perfect Pearl.  Simon Says Stamp has a choice of 36 colors but when I've purchased mine, I try to think about what the base color (Red, Blue, Green, etc.) is and whether or not I use that color as part of my card making so I only have about 8 colors.  The two I didn't use here are Gold and Pewter.  I tend not to go for trendy colors except that I heard about the Interference Red from a YouTube Video.  It's kinda pink or kinda purple, depending on your light.

After I allowed everything to dry, I die cut the watercolored panels using the My Favorite Things Stitched Squares in the 2nd largest size and then die cut the party hat carefully with the coordinating die and all of the "Happy Birthday" Banners. Additionally, I cut one Party Hat out of Fun Foam for each watercolored panel. I also cut one Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangle from various gold foiled papers.  To assemble the card I made top folding A2 card bases from Stamper's Select White Cardstock. I applied the negative square to the stitched rectangles using regular Tombow Mono Adhesive. I glued the watercolored Party Hat to the Fun Foam for each hat using Glossy Accents and stacked an acrylic block on top for several seconds to let it set and then went about adhering the background panels to the card bases before starting to mount the party hats into their space on the card fronts.  It was quick and super easy to do since I skipped foam tape in favor of Fun Foam.  I used the negative to help place or line up the positive image.  For the little banner piece, I cut several foam squares in half and then adhered those to the card base as well.

Oh how I love gold foiled paper and gold embossing powder. Silver just doesn't pack the same punch most of the time although there are exceptions.  These cards were surprisingly easy to do and I know my daughter will love having them to give to my grandson's friends. I'll be entering these cards over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog where the theme "Inspired by a Song" is up for this week.  My song is "It's My Party" by Leslie Gore way back in 1965.  I'll also be posting this over at the Seize the Birthday Challenge.

Thanks so much for stopping by to check out my blog and I hope you'll come back soon.  All comments are very much appreciated if you'd care to leave one. Have a great weekend, everyone.  See you soon!

6 comments:

  1. lots of beautiful cards made with Tim's die...thanks for playing along at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge...kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just perfect--very nice for boys without being too fancy! But could still be used for girls--

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards and I love how different they look in the different colour palettes! Thank you so much for sharing your project and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab set of cards, and perfect for boys! Thanks so much for playing along at Seize The Birthday :)
    (I used to love that song you chose for the SSS challenge!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very festive cards! Love your different color schemes and background patterns. I think you got your money's worth from your new stamp and die set - what a great bargain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it, Cindy. What a fantastic deal, huh!?!?! Made a pilke of these and sent them to my daughter already!

      Delete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!