Sunday, July 8, 2018

Altenew Educator Certification Program - Dynamic Die Cutting

Recently, I was accepted into the Altenew Educator Certification Program and while I have completed a number of these classes already, it's always great to get a refresher course  or maybe try something that you didn't try the first time around.  There's also quite a few classes that I have not taken and this was one of them.

Today's card is a technique that is really very simple and I loved the whole concept because it is a totally different way to use Nesting Dies that you might already have in your supplies called Inverted Die Cutting. 

Card by Lydia Evans
I really love the simplicity of White on White cards and this was a new spin on that look.  This was a really fun and interesting class and we learned a lot of "out of the box" things we could do using standard dies.  Any kind of nesting dies will work for this but it was Lydia's Nesting Stars Card that got my attention.  We are supposed to choose our favorite technique and card from the class to share and this is the one I chose.  I have quite a few birthdays coming up this month so I wanted to make a birthday card to share with you.

I also think it's important to know that you can use whatever kind of nesting dies you have in your supplies.  Mine happen to be very old Quickutz Dies that nest and I didn't have as many sizes as Lydia had, but you can see they worked great.  Lydia used Halftone Stars Nesting Dies.

I also wanted to add a small sparkly pop of color to my card so I carefully added some glitter card stock behind the smallest layer of stars.  This was really easy to do.  I just cut a glitter star one size larger than the opening to use behind it. 


It's a super clean and elegant look for a birthday card and with the glitter cardstock added, it gives a slightly more festive element to the card.  I used Label Love to stamp my sentiment and backed that with another strip of the same glitter cardstock to help it pop.

If you haven't taken any classes at Altenew Academy before now, they are quite reasonably priced.  Most are around $10.00 or less.  They are online classes so you can work at your own speed.  This works well for me anytime because you just never know what life is going to throw your way!  Although we have finally moved into our new home it seems that every day, we have something come up that needs to be fished or completed or whatever on the house and that is a full time job in and of itself. 

Thanks so much for stopping today to see my project.  I'll be back often to share  with you in the coming weeks while I work towards completing projects for my certification.  Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent write-up and use of dies, Vicki!! I love how clean and crisp your die cut images with the glitter card stock!Love the composition and colors. Thanks so much for entering your beautiful work in Altenew AECP assignment Gallery. Well done! ps: please start with Level 1 courses first (fyi: This Dynamic Die-cutting is not within the Level 1 courses. Please e-mail me if this is not clear to you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize the order mattered as the list populates in Alphabetical order. But I will for sure do this.
      Thank you, Virginia, for letting me know.

      Delete
  2. Love your card with the white frame layers and glittery centers! I might need to CASE this idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!