Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Make It Monday #301 with Papertrey Ink

My card for today features a few techniques, one from Lizzie Jones where she shows "Matting With Glitter" in her video here. You'll have to scroll down to the next picture to see the glitter detail. For my card, I took a slightly different approach for my mat because I have a tiny little bit of experience with this and I've learned what works for me.  I've also learned that some glitters are just messier than others.

I started out this morning with some aluminum foil, latex gloves, a few alcohol inks, and some Alcohol Ink Blending Solution. A week or so ago, Jennifer McGuire had done a video showing some techniques to use alcohol inks but I had seen one more than a year ago from Loll Thompson. Yupo Paper is the thing that is recommended for using with alcohol inks for best results but I don't have any. I did, however, have some Stampin' Up! Glossy White Cardstock in my supplies from long ago so I decided to try that out before I went all in and got Yupo paper since it's kind of expensive. A warning though, as Jennifer said the other day, it is hard to quit playing with the supplies because each time is different and so beautiful.  

I cut two 8.5 x 11 inch sheets of glossy card stock in the 4.25 x 5.5 inch panels. That would give me 8 panels if I didn't mess any up, and I had other things I needed to do, I had to give myself a limit. I tried Jennifer's technique first but it didn't work very well on my glossy cardstock so I switched to Loll's method for the second and subsequent card panels.  It was a lot of fun and not too messy the way I did it thanks to Loll's advice. You can see her video tutorial here. I did use a Metallic Mixative in gold which I'm sure comes as no surprise to anyone.  I used a large piece of aluminum foil for each color combination (2) and a pair of latex gloves (I buy a box at the beauty supply store), I had regular rubbing alcohol but I found that didn't work very well on my paper so after the first try, I didn't use it any more. I do plan to try it on some Yupo when I get it. Alcohol inks stain badly so that's the reason for the foil.  I'm very curious to know if regular ink refills will work with this technique, but I'll have to try it another day. 


While my background panels dried completely, I got to work on the Glitter mat part of my card.  For my glitter mat, I covered a scrap piece of white card stock completely with Stick-It Adhesive and then die cut the smaller of the Mat Stack Layerz I from that. Next I die cut the Wonderful Words: Joy from gold foil cardstock along with a Star of Wonder from Memory Box. I placed my die cut word onto the sticky label and pressed it down firmly with my bone folder.  Then I covered the rest of the label with some Nuvo Pure Sheen Diamond Glitter and burnished it in with my bone folder. That way, only the negative parts were still sticky and this gave me an inlaid look for the mat. I also cut the Largest Layerz I from Gold Foil so that my mat could have a mat (ha!).  Because the background has so much movement, I wanted to keep my card design very simple.  I cut the panel with a stitched rectangle die and adhered it to my top folding card base made from Stamper's Select White Cardstock. Then I placed the glittered, matted element on the front along with the Star of Wonder.  


I hope you like my card for this week's Make It Monday.  You can see lots more inspiration and many projects over at the Papertrey Blog.  Thanks you so much for spending a few minutes with me today.  

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card, that background is just so stunning! I love the glitter behind your joy, really makes it shine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very pretty Vicki! The inky background looks amazing! Love the shimmery mat! Great take on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful background!
    Simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this is gorgeous! Love the inlaid sentiment word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely card with your joy inlayed in glitter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!