Sunday, April 2, 2017

Things with Wings

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge is "Things With Wings". Normally, I would do something with Butterflies and I might still do that if I have time before the Challenge ends. But I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Papertrey Ink order and that is the set I wanted to play with today.  I have a few girlfriends that fit the sentiment in this set so I couldn't make just one card but I ended up making three for today.  I think I will still need to make a few others but I wanted to get these posted for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.  I am also entering this up at the Curtain Call Challenge with their theme of "Speckled".

For all of the cards I have here today, I used the Papertrey Feather Finery Stamp Set with the Feather Finery Coordinating Dies and Limitless Layers - Ovals.  I also used Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangle Dies and a WPLUS9 Sunshine Layers Die.

The Feathers were stamped on to 44# Vellum and heat embossed with Simon Says Stamp Antique Gold Embossing Powder or Simon Says Stamp Gold Embossing Powder.  The card with the brown and soft white label is the regular Gold Embossing Powder.  I rarely use the two powders side by side, but I hope that in my pictures you'll be able to see the difference. I can, but I know what I'm looking for. My preference is still for the Antique Gold because it is a rich, warm gold.

Simon Says Stamp Gold Embossing Powder
On two of these cards, the background is Speckled because that is the challenge this week over at Curtain Call.  To make my speckles, I touch a drop of re-inker onto an acrylic block and added a drop of water to it to make my color.  Using my brush, I flicked the water off the edge of my acrylic block using a #2 Silver Black Velvet Round Brush which makes a very fine splatter on your cardstock below. The smaller the brush, the finer the splatter. Because this is a somewhat messy process, I have a shallow box that I lay the panels into when I am doing this with a paper towel underneath. For this first card, I used Dark Chocolate, Berry Sorbet and Sargent Art Gold Watercolor to create the splatter.

Simon Says Stamp Antique Gold Embossing Powder
On this second card, I created the spatter with True Black, Dark Chocolate and Gold Metallic. I also added a few more speckles using Irresistible Pico Embellisher in Gold. For each of these cards, I worked on the background panel and then adhered that to the card base made from Papertrey Ink Rustic White Cardstock.  I used Papertrey Ink's Limitless Layers 2¼ Ovals for stamping the sentiments onto and backed it with one of the ovals from the set. Each of the Limitless Layers sets has 4 exterior labels with an interior layer, that is a bit smaller. You can also use any of the pieces by themselves, but I wanted the layered look on these particular cards.  I recently got the Circles, Squares and Ovals Limitless Layers in the smaller sizes and I really like them. They are becoming "tool basics" for me in much the same way that banners and tags are, so I ordered the larger Ovals, Squares and Hearts last night to add to my tool box.


By stamping the feathers on the vellum, I could die cut after they were stamped and heat set. Since Vellum is transparent, it was easy to see to line them up.  I also did a few feathers that are stamped in ink and I did those by using the negative as a place holder with my MISTI tool.  I just didn't happen to use any of those for these cards.

The last card here uses Stamper's Select White Cardstock for my card base and the background panel is cut from Simon Says Stamp Audrey Blue Cardstock. The small oval is cut from a scrap of Simon Says Stamp Surf Blue Cardstock.

Everything here is super easy to do and duplicate.  I really like how the "speckles" came out on my background panels so I made a few more while I was at it.  I've done similar backgrounds to this before but with a different technique which resulted in larger spatters. Each way has their time and place in card-making depending on the look you want, so I will use this new way as well.

Supplies are linked in the post or you can find shopping links on the right hand sidebar.  If you have any questions, be sure to ask and I will get back to you right away.  Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I read and cherish each of the sweet comments you leave for me.  Happy Sunday Everyone! 

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cards Vicki :-) I have spent ages admiring these, I love that you used the vellum, the feathers look real! the whole design of these is so pretty :-)

    Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge
    Luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful, especially love the 2 colors of gold on your feathers. And beautiful speckles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow your cards are beautiful...love how you used vellum and the gold is gorgeous...thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cards Vicki! Thanks for playing the Curtain Call!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!