Sunday, August 23, 2015

Scrapbook Convention

My mom traveled to where I live this week to attend the Creating Keepsakes Scrapbook Convention with me.  She had never been to one before.  Compared to the GASC in Arlington, Texas, this one was barely a blip on the radar screen, but it was great for us.  Mom is getting older and my body doesn't work so well either due to the MS.  But we did okay.  We went a little early so we could get a decent parking space and not have to walk too far.  We managed to walk around for about 5 hours and make it to all of the vendor booths we wanted to see.  It's always nice to spend time with my mom who is also a paper-crafter.

I had a couple of things on my list of items that I was hoping to find at the convention for a reasonable price.  I was particularly looking for background stamps as I only have a couple and they don't work for very many of the things I want to do.  I'm a huge fan of Jennifer McGuire and she does some amazing things with her background stamps.  I was fortunate to find a few I really liked that were clearance priced. 

Today's card started with a piece of Sea Glass card stock cut 4.25 x 11 inches, scored and top folded at the 5.5 inch mark.  Next I inked up a Justrite Cling Background Stamp with Versamark and heat set it using Pearl Embossing Powder.  I love the tone on tone, textured color this gives to my card base.  I pulled this Wild Wasabi from my SU! stash and cut a panel using Memory Box Stitched Rectangles from Simon Says Stamp.  I like this particular set of dies because there are 7 sizes in the set. 


I cut a second stitched rectangle out of this beautiful Prima Marketing Firefly Collection paper.  Next I added a strip of Glittered Washi Tape in green and made a vertical band around those two stitched panels.  The tape is not rough at all and the "glitter" doesn't come off.  It's also super thin and easy to use.  I got the Washi Tape at the Eyelet Outlet booth at the CK Scrapbook Convention.  It's really beautiful and easy to add to any card.  I got 6 different colors.  I really love this "friend" die from Mama Elephant.  I cut 4 of these and glued them one on top of the other using Ranger Multi Medium Matte to get the thicker, more dimensional sentiment.  Next, I cut a single branch with leaves in the Wild Wasabi using a My Favorite Things die.  I snipped off a few of the leaves to make it fit better on my card.  After that I cut the top layer of the butterfly from White Shimmer card stock and the bottom layer from some semi-translucent blue vellum.  The butterfly die is from Impression Obsession and was also purchased at convention.  I put narrow strips of foam adhesive down the center of the body to pop it up.  I used an embossing tool handle to help shape the wings slightly. You can also do this with flowers using any kind of tool that has a small diameter handle.   




For the white insert I also used a strip of the green washi tape down the left hand side of that panel.  As the final touch, I added a few sequins from the Rhythm & Blues Collection from Simon Says Stamp.  

For any of the products I mention, you can click on the item and it will link you to a site where these items can be purchased.  

I hope you enjoyed this card.  Have a great rest of the weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!