Monday, August 10, 2015

A New Technique

** So as I was taking pictures of my card to post here, I realized that I put my panel on upside down...Grrr.  I guess that is what I get for staying up too late to finish.  But I still like the card enough to keep it!**

I will admit that I spend some time on the weekends watching a few YouTube Videos.  There are a lot of papercrafters out there who do technique videos. Two ladies (Laura Sterckx at makingcardsisfun.com & Jennifer McGuire from Jennifer McGuire Ink) come to mind immediately.  I subscribe to their YouTube Channel so I know right away if they have posted a new video.  While I may know the technique already, each person has their own little tips and tricks to share with you.  It is very hard not to take away something from each and every one that I watch and often they will give me ideas for something new I want to try.  I couldn't even tell you whose video that I was watching that made me think of this particular project.   Laura has done several videos for a technique that I'm trying hard to perfect--Shaker Cards--but I am not there yet!  

Anyway, something I watched yesterday kick started an idea that I have been formulating in my head.  I feel this was very successful so I'm sharing it here today.

I don't know what it is, but I like diamonds in ANY form.  The real thing is always the best, but I like them in paper form nearly as much.  I've been seeing some really neat stenciling techniques with a flower stencil so I wanted to try my version.  I got my Harlequin Stencil from Simon Says Stamp ages ago.  I actually only have the diamond stencil, but I couldn't find a link to the single version on their website.  

For a variety of purposes, I use Drafting Dots, Washi Tape or Painters Tape, whichever is handier at the moment.  I kind of move around in my studio from my desk where my computer is, to my table and I even have a corner desk that I use to heat emboss or cut dies in my little Sizzix Sidekick. One thing I have found to be true with any of these is that you should put the sticky side on your skin (I use the back of my hand) before attaching it to paper of any kind. Otherwise, you might tear off a layer of your nice smooth cardstock as you remove the mask.  I'm using a 4.5 x 11 inch card base with a top fold at 5.5 inches.  I lined up my stencil on the card with the design centered.  I used a sponge dauber to apply my Tim Holtz Victorian Velvet Distress Ink.  I have only 5 colors/pads in this ink, but so far I have managed well with just these few.   I "stamped" some ink on one of my clear acrylic blocks and applied that ink directly to the cardstock.  I did a heavier concentration of ink in the lower left of each diamond to create a shadow which you will hopefully be able to see in the photo.  Once I had my color laid in, I used a clean sponge dauber to go over the top with Versamark Embossing Ink.




Then I removed the stencil and applied Iridescent Sparkle Embossing Powder from Judikins to the card and heat set it.  I am so happy with the outcome.  Once that part of the panel was complete, I used my Thanks Die by Mama Elephant.  I cut three and adhered them to each other for the added dimension.  I also made two cuts from the Simon Says Stamp Super Hearts Border Die.  I chose just a few of these in different sizes to use on my card.  After attaching them, I went over all of the die cuts with Ranger Glossy Accents to give them a high shine, enameled look. This was my first time using glossy accents for that purpose and I have to say, I am definitely a fan. 




I hope you enjoy this technique. I always love it when something in my head actually comes out on paper.  Please let me know if you try it and what your results were.  Have a great week!    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!