Monday, February 18, 2019

A Simple Art Deco Card

Hello Everyone!  It's good to have time to sit and write a blog post with some detailed information for you!  My card today is for the Fusion Card Challenge and my card is loosely based on the sketch provided.  For me, it seems like a background, with a frame and a central focal point.  So that is what I made.

I'll also be linking this up over on the February Show and Share Challenge at Virginia Lu's Blog, Yes, Virginia.

I've been playing around with my Altenew Watercolor 36 Pan Set just to get a feel for how the color moves on different types of watercolor paper.  For this card, I used Frayed Leaf, Forest Glades and a touch of Evergreen Watercolors on Arches Hot Pressed Watercolor Paper.  The hardest part of watercolor for me is letting it dry to see what I have.  I haven't attempted to watercolor actual objects, I am simply making soft watercolor washes to use for backgrounds.  Sometimes I speed it along with the help of my heat tool but on this particular day, I was working on two pieces and just switched back and forth.

When my best friend was up over the weekend, she noticed this particular background piece and wondered what I was making with it.  She loves greens, so I decided I'd make something for her with it.  I'm also playing with the My Monthly Hero Kit for February 2019.  The particular die I used for the frame on this card was a part of the Add-On Items that were available with the kit.  This one is called Vintage Window Fancy Die.  There are other gorgeous add-on's available and the kit itself has a gorgeous cover style die and stencil in it that I haven't yet gotten to play with or use.  The kit and another order both arrived on Friday and I got my Delicates Dies from Papertrey Ink.  They were out of stock for quite a while and last evening was the first time I had a chance to use them.

For this card, I primarily used only dies with a simple stamped greeting.  I knew after seeing my friend, Kelly Lunceford's cards back when these dies were released, exactly how I wanted to use them.


Anytime I have flowers or leaves that I am attaching to a card, I like to use my bone folder to add some curve to the petals or leaves. Because it is so slick, my Teflon Bone Folder is the perfect thing to do this with.  Since the dies are very delicate, I did this gently.  I took them bottom flower and curved the petals downward and then attached it with a double layer of foam tape.  For the top flower, I curved the petals upward and just used a glue dot underneath to attach it to the bottom flower.  Then I added a gold gemstone in the center of the flower.  This gives a lot of extra dimension to the blooms.  I don't know if it was the intent or not of the designer, Dawn McVey, but these make me think of Dahlias.


This was super simple and quick to do if you already have backgrounds made, which I feel like I always do.  I have a lot of watercolor washes and alcohol inked backgrounds plus I'm always experimenting so this is a great and easy way to use them without having to drag out a ton of stuff.


I'm adding a couple of additional views for you here so you can see the extra dimension.


I love how this card turned out and it was super easy to do.  I'll have more upcoming projects for you soon using more Art Deco Styled products because I absolutely love Art Deco.  I also like Art Nouveau styles but with its cleaner graphic lines, Art Deco is my #1 Favorite.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!  I really appreciate it when you take time to comment so I know if you enjoy my content.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I absolutely love the shine and use of dies! The colors are so pleasing to the eyes, Vicki!! So glad that you join the fun with my “Show & Share”! WONDERFUL! Happy to see that you are enjoying playing challenges!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!