Saturday, March 3, 2018

Foiled & Embossed Watercolor Pages

A few years ago ((back in 2015) when I first started making cards, I got a whole pad of pre-embossed and foiled watercolor sheets.  These came from Cosmo Cricket and I had gotten two of them; one 8 x 8 and one 12 x 12.  I picked mine up at Simon Says Stamp and each pad has several pages that have gold foil on them as well.  Recently, I found another of the 12 x 12 size in the clearance section at Hobby Lobby for $2.00 so I snagged it, of course.

I haven't used them too often but recently, I decided that the thing I liked them best for was ink blending, rather than water coloring.  Watercolor Paper takes ink incredibly well, especially if you give it a lot of shimmer mist which I am likely to do.  Pretty much any dye based ink will work, it's just a matter of blending.

The particular card I am sharing today was blended using Simon Says Stamp Hollyhock Ink for ink blending on my watercolor paper.  This sheet was from the 8 x 8 pad and so I cut a stitched rectangle from the sheet, framing up the heart in the center of the panel.  I also do the large 12 x 12 sheets by cutting them into four 6 x 6 squares and using them for background panels.  It's a fast easy and way to add a great design and a punch of color to your background.


I had this card finished and was photographing it for an upcoming event when I realized that I was missing something.  This card was for a guest design post featuring Winnie & Walter Products and while I did use one of their products, I realized that the one I used isn't carried in the store I am doing the guest design for so I had to change gears and make a different one.  But I wanted to share this one because it is so utterly feminine!  If you've visited me before, chances are you know that I love Pink and Gold together.

I was very surprised recently when my daughter said that she wanted to do her office in Pink, Grey and Gold.  She has a home office so she can do whatever colors she wants but they only moved into this house last summer and they still have a few boxes sitting in there and no furniture yet. She is definitely more of a white gold kind of girl but she knew I would love it since pink is my favorite color.  Even though I know she is not planning to do such a dark shade of Pink, I'm sending this card to her.  But first, a few details for you!

The gold foil on these watercolor sheets is a bright yellow-gold rather than the more antique gold color that I typically use which meant I had to break out my Gold Mirror Cardstock.  I don't use this very often, but sometimes, it just happens to be the thing that matches.  My Gold Mirror Cardstock came from Simon Says Stamp and is from Tonic Studios.

Once I had the butterfly and the sentiments die cut from the Gold Mirror Cardstock, I thought I really needed a mat for my front panel from the same gold to tie it all together.  I die cut the watercolor panel with the largest Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangle and the Gold Mat from My Favorite Things Blueprint 15 which I believe is retired.


The butterfly is an older one from Impression Obsession while the word dies are both from Winnie & Walter's The Big, The Bold & the Happy, and The Big, The Bold and You coordinating dies.  These are available at the Winnie & Walter Shop here: Winnie & Walter Store.

My card base is made from an 8.5 x 5.5 inch piece of Stamper's Select White Cardstock scored at 4.25". The thing that took the most time here was waiting for the watercolor paper to dry.  Of course, it was warped once it was dry, but I very lightly misted the back side of it with plain water then ran it through my Cuttlebug with an embossing pad instead of an embossing folder and a clean, uncut plate on the top side of the panel.  This flattens it out very well and makes it easy to adhere.

Cuttlebug
Cuttlebug
Shop at:
SSS
Kokuyo Long Dot Runner Adhesive
Kokuyo Long Dot Runner Adhesive
Shop at:
SSS
PTI Stamper's Select White Cardstock
PTI Stamper's Select White Cardstock
Shop at:
PTI
Ranger Multi Medium Matte
Ranger Multi Medium Matte
Shop at:
SSS
SSS Hollyhock Ink
SSS Hollyhock Ink
Shop at:
SSS
SSS Stitched Rectangles Dies
SSS Stitched Rectangles Dies
Shop at:
SSS
Teflon Bone Folder
Teflon Bone Folder
Shop at:
SSS
Tim Holtz Mini Round Ink Blending Tool
Tim Holtz Mini Round Ink Blending Tool
Shop at:
SSS
Tonic 6 Inch Personal Trimmer
Tonic 6 Inch Personal Trimmer
Shop at:
SSS
Tonic Polished Gold Mirror Cardstock
Tonic Polished Gold Mirror Cardstock
Shop at:
SSS
Tsukineko Sheer Sparkle Shimmer Spritz
Tsukineko Sheer Sparkle Shimmer Spritz
Shop at:
SSS
W&W - The Big, The Bold & The Happy
W&W - The Big, The Bold &The Happy
Shop at:
SSS
W&W - The Big, The Bold & You
W&W - The Big, The Bold & You
Shop at:
SSS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!