Monday, August 1, 2016

A Masculine Birthday Card for Two Challenges

Hello!  I haven't had time in the last several weeks to participate over at The Paper Players Challenge but I was finally able to yesterday evening for a little while. This is for The Paper Players Challenge #306. Although it did take a little time to figure out my design, this is a card that is a super nice choice for any men in your life and came together very fast once I had my design figured out.  The challenge at The Paper Players this week is a Tic-Tac-Toe Challenge. I chose the top row (Enamel Dots, CAS and Masculine) for my card. Masculine cards are always a bit of a struggle for me but I'm very happy with how this one turned out.

I also try to always participate in the challenges over at Simon's — The Monday Challenge and the Wednesday Challenge.  The Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme this week is "Celebrate" which fits right in with this birthday card.

To start this card, I selected the papers I wanted to use - True Black, Spicy Yogurt, and Gold Metallic (I use Gold Metallic Poster Board from Hobby Lobby). Black and Gold is always a classic look as is a Clean & Simple (CAS) Card.  For the focal point, I wanted to use this Spellbinders Die called Ritz Decorative Accent.  It is such a bold piece so I switched back and forth between the colors of each piece for a more dramatic look. The die cuts three separate pieces so you can choose what you want each piece to be cut from. I cut the whole thing in Gold Metallic, then used a scrap of black for the center piece and then back to the small diamond piece in Gold Metallic from the original large diecut.  Easy Peasy! I made a vertical and horiontal mark in the center of my Spicy Yogurt Panel so that I could get the first piece of the die cut in the right spot and then the others came easily. I adhered them with Ranger Multi Medium Matte.  I stamped the sentiment from "Mums The Word" on True Black Cardstock from Papertrey Ink and heat set it with Simon Says Stamp Antique Gold Embossing Powder.  then mounted that on a scrap of Metallic Gold.  I considered not mounting the sentiment, but by going ahead, it made it a much more cohesive look.  I die cut that panel using a Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangle Die in the largest size, taped down with a bit of washi tape so it would move around.  I needed to keep that panel lined up.  I wasn't planning to cut the panel down initially or I would have done it before I started adhering things. *Ü*  I also cut another stitched rectangle for the inside of the card since I ended up using a black card base.  I really like how tied together the entire card is from front to back.  It is perfectly Clean & Simple!


For my Enamel Dots, I used a fairly new product called Nuvo Crystal Drops in Black Gloss.  You totally freehand these dots (its a good idea to practice on a scrap first to get a feel for them) and then once you have them, tap or flick the card on the underside to help them spread out just a little bit. Don't do too much as they need just a tiny bit of dimension to them. Because you are putting them directly onto your card, they won't pop off.  It's like making your own custom enamel dots.  This is a great product!  I love the glossy ones (Black and White) better than the sparkly ones, especially for using on Masculine cards.

This was super fast and easy to put together and would be a great style to use for mass production since the only thing that is stamped is the greeting.  I love the bold graphics.

I very much appreciate you stopping at my blog to take a look and I hope you'll continue to come back and visit.  You can also like and follow Twinkling Paper Studio's Facebook Page.

6 comments:

  1. Woohoo, what an amazing card! Simple, but that foil element is stunning! Thanks for sharing it with us at the Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a striking card, Vicki! The gold foil is so elegant. Thanks for joining us this week at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So classy! Love that gold and black..really sharp.. Thanks for playing along with the tic tac toe challenge at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning card!! Really like that die--seems Art Deco-ish to me. Love the elegant love of this card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your card, Vicki. The black and gold is stunning. Thanks for joining us at the Paper Players this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderfully unique card! I love the old Hollywood/art deco feel of it and it would be so perfect for so many occasions! I also always appreciate a good masculine theme, so thank you for the inspiration. And thank you for sharing your talents with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!