Friday, April 24, 2020

Using Stencils to Create a Focal Image

IMG_5311

Today I have a quick and easy card for you using Stencils to create a decorative card base and focal image.  Then I have a quick update for you on my watercoloring progress.

I cut a 4 x 4-inch piece of cardstock to use for my focal image.  I lined up my Bright Blossoms Stencil from Poppy Stamps (a Memory Box Company) so that just one flower would show up on my piece of cardstock.  You can use a post-it note or masking paper to cover up any parts that you don't want to get ink on, but I was just very careful.  I used Picket Fence Studio's Life Changing Blender Brushes to ink up the various colors on my bloom.  I used Apple Mint for the leaves and Lovely Lavender for the outer petals of the flower.  Then I used Innocent Pink for the center end of the larger petals and the flower center.

Once I had the areas inked up, I added some very simple detailing using my Polychromos.  I don't have a lot of those - about 30 in total.  I seem to always have the ones I need since I bought based on the primary colors I seem to use for pretty much everything.  I don't use them often enough to justify buying a bigger set.

IMG_5318

For my card base, I wanted to use the bold Stripes Stencil from Birch PressDesign (another Memory Box Company) with Lovely Lavender Ink and did it all the way the full length of the card base so that it would be striped all the way.  I placed the stencil on the diagonal and moved it as I moved down the length of the cardstock.

I cut a mat for the focal image that was 1/8th inch bigger all the way around, which gives it a skinny border.  I felt the upper right-hand corner of that image was bare, so I chose a smaller sentiment that would fit the area.

Now, I wanted to show you what some practice will do once you learn how to watercolor.  You might remember this card from a few weeks ago.

IMG_4223

I'm sure no one will notice all the things that are wrong with this card, but I wanted to get this stamp set out this week and give it another go now that I've had a lot more practice.  Don't get me wrong, this "controlled" method of watercolor is not easy for me, but I want to be able to do it, so I keep working and practicing it.  Here is the card I watercolored yesterday using the beautiful Birthday Rose Corner Stamp.

IMG_5329

My contrast and shadows are getting better each time I practice!  I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and are staying safe and well.  We had tornadoes late yesterday to make "Sheltering in Place" a little more exciting.  There are no basements in Texas but we do have a four-foot-tall crawl space.   We got all of our necessary papers and medicines ready to go down that rabbit hole if needed but we never had to go down there.  YAY!!
Vickisignature
Supplies


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!