Saturday, September 24, 2016

The Color Throwdown #411

The Color Throwdown Challenge Blog has some gorgeous colors chosen for this weeks Challenge; Purple, Magenta, Orange & Yellow. They use generic names so everyone can work with colors they already have and not have to go out and buy anything special.  If you've been around my blog at all, then you know I love using Gold.  Two of my favorite tools in my studio are Finetec Mica Gold Watercolors and Iridescent Gold Shimmer Spritz and that is what I used for my Yellow.  The one I have is no longer being made but this Tsukineko Sheer Gold Shimmer Spritz is what I will use when mine is completely gone.  Thankfully, I have several more bottles.

To create my card, I started with a Stitched Rectangle cut from Papertrey's Fresh Snow Linen Cardstock.  This immediately gives my background some texture but I really wanted a lot of texture.  Using some color sprays made using reinkers, I misted that panel with Purple and Orange Sprays.  Once those colors were spritzed on there, I gave the whole panel a good spritzing with Iridescent Gold Shimmer Spritz then set it aside to work on my balloons.

I started with a piece of Watercolor Paper and did some very random ink blending using Distress Inks in Seedless Preserves, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral. Again, I spritzed the panel with Iridescent Gold Shimmer Spritz.  Once that was dry, I used Balloon Bash Dies to cut the balloons. Using some Metallic Gold DMC Floss, I made the strings for the balloons by attaching the string on the backside using Ranger Multi Medium Matte and then reinforcing that with a foam square since I was planning to mount everything but the background with Foam Squares.


I die cut the banner from the Tag Sale: Quilted Die and mounted the Penny Black "Happy Birthday" die cut on that with Ranger Multi Medium Matte.  All my pieces were cut and ready to assemble, but I wanted a bit more interest and texture on my background panel so using the end of the sprayer nozzle from the purple color spray I made spatter by tapping a brush handle on the top part of the sprayer.  I also used my Finetec Mica Gold Watercolors in Gold Pearl to create some gold spatter as well then assembled my card onto a Blackberry Bliss A2 Top Folding Card Base.  

I wish I had been able to capture all the shimmer and shine. I did my best, but my image falls far short of the reality.  Trust me - you can definitely see it in real life. All of the supplies I used are linked unless they are no longer available. Wishing you all a happy Saturday and I hope you come back soon!  

This card will also be entered at the Sugar Pea Designs Mix It Up Challenge #16. The graphic on the left is the inspiration image for that challenge.  They have some great stamps and dies although I don't have any of them yet. Simon Says Stamp is carrying Sugar Pea Designs now so you can click the link in my sidebar if you like!  Just type Sugar Pea into the search window and you'll get a whole bunch of them.

1 comment:

  1. Vicki I love the effect of your ink sprays and ink blending and the shimmer of it all. Thank you for sharing with us at the SugarPea Mix It Up Challenge this month!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!