Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Tulip Magnolias

I've been working on Mother's Day cards since last week and I want to make a few more for the Moms of my grandkids. I haven't really decided on a design at this point in time so I'm kind of winging it.  I'm using a technique that I'm already comfortable with for my girls' cards -- watercolor with heat embossing.

I used a couple of different stamp sets from Altenew to get the look for today's cards which was inspired by this image from the Inspired by All the Little Things Challenge Blog for last week.  Although I didn't have time to participate in that Challenge, I kept the image because it inspired me.

My daughter, Yuovonne, has a Tulip Magnolia at her house and I love it when I get to see it blooming.  The delicate pink blooms are just beautiful. I have a traditional Magnolia Tree in my yard that we put in a few years ago, but the blooms are totally different in shape and color and y'all know how I love my pink and purple.

Last year it rained so much in the spring that the blooms got pelted off my tree within hours of blooming and I never got to enjoy them. This was a fairly mature tree when we put it in at approximately 18 feet tall, but the first winter after that it got hammered by an ice storm which broke several of the branches off.  It seems to have recovered from that and this will be its 3rd spring with us.

Yuovonne is the mother of all my grand girls; Kaylan, Kylie, Cameron, Lauren and Emily as well as Grant and Christopher while Shelli is mom to Lance and Tracen.  I don't really have a sentiment specific to give a card to your daughter on Mother's Day so I'm used the SUPERMOM sentiment from the Magnolias for Her Stamp Set.  It used to have an exclamation point on the end, but it always just looked like an extra line so I preformed "Stamp Surgery" on it the last time I used it. The two cards I made today are for them.  I still have one more to make and mail, but I really want to get these out today if possible.  I don't think I'm in any danger of my girls seeing them before they receive them in the mail.  They don't read my blog and one of them doesn't use social media at all.

On a piece of watercolor paper, I stamped the Tulip Magnolias from the Altenew Magnolias for Her with Versamark and heat embossed them using WOW! Copper Pearl Embossing Powder.  I watercolored them using Papertrey Ink's Lavender Moon Ink smooshed onto an acrylic block and picked it up using a water brush. There are so many different ways to watercolor and I use several of them. Do whatever is comfortable and achievable for you.


I also stamped the branch from the Altenew Winter Cardinal Set with Versamark and heat embossed it using the same Copper Embossing Powder. The branch is not an outline images so I stamped it on a different piece of Watercolor Paper and then did some ink blending with a bit of Tumbled Glass Distress Ink to resemble a sky background. I used a Ranger Mini Ink Blending Tool for that. Watercolor Paper works really nicely for ink blending.  The magnolias were cut out with the Magnolias for Her Coordinating Dies and adhered to the panel using Tombow Mono Adhesive.

I also used a sheet from the Lawn Fawn Perfectly Plaid 6 x 6 Collection for the mat on my cards.  I really struggle to use any kind of printed paper.  The butterfly is from the Papertrey Ink Color Pop Butterflies Kit. Of course, everything has a coat of Wink of Stella on it which you can't see in the photo, but I assure you it is there. *Ü*

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today. I'll be entering this card over on the "Anything Goes" Challenge at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog.  I hope to have a few more projects ready for you before the end of the week especially since I have more daughter to make a card for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!