Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Simon Says "Monochrome"

It's been a while since I worked on a card specifically for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.  Believe it or not, I can't always come up with a card for every challenge and some just don't fit my style. I'm learning that if it isn't my style, I need to just move on to the next project because I probably won't be happy with the end results. My style tends to lean toward Classic and Elegant and my love of using gold lends itself well to my projects.

This week's challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge is Monochromatic and I chose "Yellow/Gold" for my color.  I started with a piece of Fabriano Water Color Paper in the 140# weight. This paper is more cream than white and has a heavy texture to it but since I was planning to do ink blending over the top, it didn't matter.  I ran that through my die cutting machine using the Taylored Expressions Leafy Vine Embossing Folder and then ink blending it with Papertrey Ink's Lemon Tart.  This is Papertrey's softest yellow ink. Because the design is so close together on this paper, the ink just stays on the surface of the panel.  Once I had that done, I misted the panel with Iridescent Gold Glimmer Mist which blends the color so softly and gives a light golden shimmer to the paper.  I set that aside to dry and worked on my other elements.

Using a 4.25 x 5.5 inch piece of Papertrey Ink 44# Vellum, I did ink blending on that using Summer Sunrise Ink and a Mini Ink Blending Tool.  While it was still damp from the ink, I sprinkled Gold Perfect Pearls on it and blended it out as if it was ink all over.  I used my heat tool to make sure the vellum was dry before I stamped two of the outline images from Altenew's Beautiful Day Stamp Set in Versamark and heat set them using Simon Says Stamp Antique Gold Embossing Powder which is my favorite gold to use. For the leaves, I first inked up another piece of vellum using the Summer Sunrise and then went over the top with New Leaf which is a yellow-green (olive) color tone.  I wanted the yellow undertone so I could stay monochromatic.  After that, I stamped the leaf outlines from Beautiful Day on that piece of vellum and then die cut all of the flowers and leaves with the Beautiful Day Coordinating Dies.


I also cut a frame from the Spellbinders Label 42 & Label 42 Decorative Elements from a gold cardstock scrap.  I buy big 24 x 36 inch sheets of Metallic Gold Poster Board at my Hobby Lobby when it's on sale 2/$1.00 and cut it down to manageable sizes when I get it home.  Because I am paying so little for it I don't feel the need to skimp and you'll notice I use it on a large percentage of my cards.


I used the "Scripted" Stamps and Coordinating Dies from Papertrey Ink for my sentiment and the banner is part of the Tag Sale - Quilted Die.  To finish, I assembled everything on the panel and attached that to an A2 Top Folding Card Base made from Rustic White Cardstock.  I used Thin 3D Foam Squares for the Banner and hid the Ranger Multi Medium Matte adhesive behind the vellum layers so it wouldn't show.  

I'll also be entering this project into a couple of other Challenges, Addicted to Clean and Simple and Word Art Wednesday.  I really appreciate it when you stop by to see my project and your comments are such a kindness.  I read and treasure every one.  

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!! Love the flowers especially!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Since I love the color of sunshine this is a favorite!! Love the softly colored leaves and flowers! The vellum is so perfect to give the transparency to make this a spectacular card!! Love it, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gold embossing enhances the beauty of the flower. Thank you so much for posting your very beautiful art in the #232-#233 - Anything Goes FF Word Art Wednesday Challenge.
    Blessings, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty card...indeed classic and elegant. Thanks for sharing at ATCAS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning card...love the background and the gorgeous flower...thanks for sharing at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge..nhugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card, Vicki! I love how you colored the flower and leaves and how you added all the lovely gold elements to this card...so pretty! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at Addicted to CAS!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!