Wednesday, January 2, 2019

The Color Throwdown #524 - January 2019 Guest Designer


Hello everyone!  I am guest designing this month for The Color Throwdown Challenge and I'm here today with my first week's card for The Color Throwdown Challenge #524 using the colors in the challenge graphic; yellow, green, black and white.

If you've been here before, you probably know that these colors are definitely not in my normal wheelhouse, so it was really a challenge for me to come up with something that I liked and felt was nice looking without reminding me of a bumble bee.  Although now that I think of it, a bumble bee would have made for a super cute card and I happen to have some but there's no time left to make another card.  I also wanted to try using some supplies that I have in my stash that I haven't used for a while, Prima Watercolor Pencils.  I stamped three of each of the two flowers for the Altenew Persian Motifs Stamp Set and heat embossed them using Simon Says Stamp Antique Gold Embossing Powder.  Since I haven't used these watercolor pencils much, I wanted to be able to choose which version of each that I liked the best for my card.   I used the tip of a water brush to the tip of the pencil to grab the color for each area.


Once I had them colored, I selected my favorite from each of the two flowers then glued the other layers underneath with Ranger Multi Medium Matte for a stacked element. 

Next, I die cut a panel of Papertrey Ink Bitty Big Black and White Striped paper for my background panel. I grabbed the "hello" die from the Hero Arts Hello Stamp and Cut set and die cut one in gold foiled cardstock and laid out my card front attaching everything using Kokuyo Long Dot Tape Runner on a card base made from Papertrey Ink Stampers Select White Cardstock.  I have used this adhesive for years and it is my favorite by far.  It is also a great value for the dollar as it is 36 Meters long, which translates to 118 feet for those of us who use inches, feet, and yards rather than the metric system.  It is the absolute best value for the dollar out there! I was unable to find this for a long time, and only in the last couple of years has it been widely available again.  It is also refillable.  Simon Says Stamp carries this adhesive and you can also find it on Amazon.com.  

This is my card for today.  I have completely depleted my stash of any kind of cards and after making so many Christmas cards, I am looking forward to making Just because" kinds of cards and sending them out to friends again.  I hope you'll join in the challenge over at The Color Throwdown this week.  I'll be looking forward to seeing your ideas as well.  

1 comment:

  1. Your card is gorgeous, Vicki, and I'm thrilled you are guest designing with us this month! I will have to check out the tape runner you mentioned as it's a new name for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!